4 Tips to Get You Started in Business Card Design

here you can discuss about the phone number list
siraj

4 Tips to Get You Started in Business Card Design

Post by siraj »

our niche is business card design, or you would like it to be, then this is the article for you. There are many factors to keep in mind before starting the design process and deciding on things like typeface and color. Here are 4 important tips that will help you get started with a successful business card design. 1. Orientation The size and orientation of a business card is the first element you should think about. I’ve split the sizes into 3 groups: Landscape Portrait Square or Special Cuts Landscape Landscape business card By IS Creative Studio. The landscape format is the most common orientation. On a positive note, it is easy to read landscape formats quickly especially when they are sitting in a card holder. Landscape format can be printed by every printer. On the negative side, it is almost too common. Since most designers use landscape, it’s typically not a unique execution and is hard to stand out from the crowd. Portrait portrait business card By belinda love lee The portrait format definitely has a more elegant and cleaner look . I, personally, love this orientation and many of my clients would agree. Portrait cards can be printed by any printer, just like landscape cards. The main problem is that this layout is hard to read when the card is placed in a business card holder, but beyond this they are perfect. Square or special cuts square business card By Presshaus LA If you really want to be unique than a square or special cut is the way to go. It’s an eye catching way to present a business card to your clients because it’s totally different from standard cards. Many printers offer business cards in square format. And some printers can cut a card in any shape like a droplet or circle. But note that not every printer can print these unique shapes. Again, the negative effect is trying to fit the cards in a business card holder. The costs of special cuts are quite a bit higher than regular cards. business card By Michaella Dirkes (via Naldz Graphics) So how do you choose the right orientation for your clients? The first factor is to check out the business’ personality and to study their branding guidelines.

The second factor is the budget. If the client is looking to save money than you should use a more basic layout. Now that you know what orientation you should use… let’s move onto the different material options. 2. Material text messagte service The most common materials for business cards are: Paper Plastic Stainless Steel Of course their are many, many more you can choose from but in most cases, you will be using one of these. Paper business card DIY paper business card by Art Bar This is definitely the most used material for business cards. Printing companies have different types of paper, from thin to thick and uncoated to coated. There are even different shades of white to choose from but keep in mind that you need to check out each printer because different printers use different paper. Just like paper can vary in weight and color, the price can vary as well. You can get a very thin paper for a low price but the quality of such paper isn’t great. Thin paper tends to crack easily and it ends up looking like it was folded or scratched. It’s better to invest a little more money and go with thick paper. Plastic In my experience, most clients who have used plastic cards don’t want to use them again. They are great to touch and can’t fold like paper,

but they are quite more expensive than even the thickest paper card. For most clients there is no real reason to pay more money when good ole’ paper will do. transparent business card Transparent plastic business card by Martyna Wędzicka Please note, that not every printer offers plastic business card prints. You should let your printer know if the cards are transparent, frosted or opaque. It is important that you think about transparency while designing since you can see everything from the front side on the back. Stainless steel This is one of my favorites since there are different execution possibilities and it’s a unique material. You can do more unique cut outs because the edges won’t rip as easily as with paper cards. The biggest problem is the high production price and finding a printer that will be able to specifically print on this material. As I stated, there are tons of other materials you can use like wood, fabric, etc. The key is pick what’s best for your client, his business an of course his budget. Once I’ve picked the material for the card design, I begin thinking about ink. 3. Printing and inks There are several ways you can print a business card: 1 or 2 Color Printing 4 Color Offset Printing 4 Color plus Spot Color(s) Foil ink 1- or 2-color printing Some clients really have small budgets. In these cases, you can go with a simple 1 or 2 Color print which most printers offer. A good way to stay within a small budget is by using black or gray for the logo and information. 4-c